Home arrow Personal stories arrow Sea Org arrow Mate’s Story - David Graham  
Saturday, 22 December 2012
Mate’s Story - David Graham PDF Print E-mail
Before I continue, I thought I would try to place some names on posts in Syd Day and Fdn in the late 70's. When I joined Sydney Fdn the E.D. was Brian Rackham, he was SO. In the late 70's he was removed and declared, if I remember correctly, and replaced by Cherie Eves, also SO. Ken Nitche was the Tech Sec of Fdn and later became the LRH Com, I think for both Orgs. Keith Holman was the reg for Fdn and later took over the certification emeters for ANZO (What a ripoff that was). The lead C/S for both orgs was Jan Hill (nee Maunder and later Mullane), she was SO, was on the Appollo, and was a brilliant C/S. When she was replaced on both Orgs she became Cont Snr C/S ANZO. In the early 80's, she routed out of the SO and married Noel Mullane. As already noted, Phyl Stevens was CO Syd Day, and her daughter, Chris, was CO CLO ANZO. Chris was replaced by Mike Eves who, in turn, was replaced by Phyl Stevens, who was replaced by Pat Bloomberg (was on Hubbard's during the Saint Hill days), as CO Syd Day. Pat was to become CO AOSH ANZO. Sadly, Pat passed away in the early 80's with a lung condition. David Bloomberg from ASI and then Int, is Pat's son. In the late 70's he was in Syd Tours Org, which was run very effectively by Steve Stevens, Phyl's son. Sandy Wilhere is Phyl's daughter. David moved to FSO to become a reg and then to ASI.

Just a few more comments about the staff in Syd Day when I was an auditor there. The Director of Processing was Ethel MacKay (Carstairs), an SO member. After I left Syd, she routed out and she and her husband, Ian, went to Flag for services. I ran across Ethel in the Blue Mountains (west of Sydney) in 1998, she was a website designer, and sadly passed away a couple of years later. The Director of Technical Services was Peter Dunn. The auditors were Martin Bentley Cl VIII, Noel O'Donnell CL VIA (the "A" stood for XDN) who was also a power auditor, an old timer whose name was, I think, Paul Etheringham, Nick Cramey Cl IVA and SO, Paul Schobel Cl IV and SO, Harry Bloomberg Class VI and SO. Harry was Pat's husband. Harry was a veterinary surgeon near Christchurch NZ, and was reknowned as a top vet for race horses. Sadly Harry has since passed away.

So back to my story! My life was pretty uneventful as an auditor. I did my XDN (Expanded Dianetics) and had just completed my internship when "dianetic clear" came out. As everyone and their dog, had gone "clear", I with the other auditors, were flat out doing clear checks. When the D of P was compiling the list of those attested to send up-lines, she spotted that "David Graham" wasn't on the list. Everyone, other than me were busy going through folders, looking for my clear check, which they thought was misplaced, but no one would tell what they were looking for. Eventually the CO asked me who did my clear check, and I told her I didn't get one because I didn't think I was clear. Well!! She took me aside and after I had answered a series of questions, I realized that I might be and I was rushed through for an attest before I changed my mind. Think of the problem if I hadn't, as I had done checks on some 20 to 30 PCs.

Another incident where I was again being too smart for own good, occurred when the CO decided it was time I signed a Syd Day contract. Now I "knew" that Harry Bloomberg, being SO "couldn't" sign a Syd Day Contract, So I said "On the day when Harry signs a contract, I will sign one", and I walked away smiling. On the following Thursday at 1.45pm I was invited to the CO's office for a special presentation, I rushed up there and Harry was there with a pen in his hand and signed something on the desk. He handed me the pen and said, "There I've signed my Syd Day contract". I looked at him in disbelief and then sheepishly signed mine.

By the way, there is a public on lines called David H. Graham. That is not me. I am David Griffith Graham. I am on the Declared Suppressive Persons' List, and proud of it!

This a bit embarrassing, I forgot some auditors. The first was a Canadian John Brownlee Class IVA. Then there was his sister, Joan, who was to marry an Australian Mark Treasure. Joan was the Dianetics and Purif C/S. Then we had Genny Gray Snr Class IV, Tia Merck Snr Class IV. Genny's husband, Billy, was Syd Day academy supervisor. Billy and Genny were from Christchurch in NZ and "routed off" staff and returned to NZ.

Back to Mate's story. When the Happiness Rundown was released, Genny and I were sent to LA to train as auditor and C/S. We stayed in the Manor. This whole trip was a bit of a romp for us, and could well be a separate thread. The room I was in consisted of four single beds in a room that was twenty to twenty five feet long and fifteen feet wide. I hadn't shared a room except with a partner, since my compulsory national service days in the air force in the early 50's. Yeah! I know, but I hadn't yet joined the SO. On our first morning I had for breatfast, what was called "easy-over" fried eggs. The next morning to show my acceptance of the American culture, the cook asked how would I like my eggs, and I said "gently turned", and her response was "WHAT?". Then someone in the line, said "I think he means easy-over", we all laughed, but not the cook. Then a couple of mornings later, Genny was expecting a letter from Billy, her husband. So that evening we went to reception and she asked, "Do you have any letters for me". He said, "Lettus, you need to go to the kitchen". She said, "What!" I was able to step in and say, "I think she means mail".

Then there was a C/S from London Org do the HRD and staying at the Manor also, and I can't remember his name. We were given what was called a "sack lunch" which consisted of a sandwich in a paper bag. This is called a cut lunch in the English-speaking world, as distinct from the American-speaking world. The cook asked if we wanted "mayo", and found she was looking at three blank faces, so she said, "mayonnaise", and we said, "No". When luchtime came, we opened our paper bags and found two pieces of dry bread and a large lump of tuna between them. Well, our London C/S was absolutely furious that there was no butter. He said, "How can you eat a sandwich without buttered bread?", and refused to eat it. The next morning, there was this enormous dispute between the cook and the London C/S. It looked as if the War of Independence was re-igniting. A truce was reached where she would provide a cube of butter and he could butter his own bread. Genny and I took advantage of this also.

Among all the fun, there were also a few scary moments. We were used to driving on the left (our vehicles are right hand drive, as is the UK and Japan), which meant that I was conditioned to look to the right before crossing a street, also in Australia there is a curb lane used for parking and temporary standing of vehicles, rather than a bus transit lane. We had arrived a couple of days before the start of the HRD training, and decided to investigate downtown Hollywood. Well, I automatically looked to the right and was about to step off the sidewalk to cross Hollywood Boulevarde and someone grabbed as I was about to step under a speeding bus. Then shortly after that, Genny was crossing a side street against a red light or "dont walk" sign. I was a few metres (yards) behind a saw a cop yelling out to her, but of which, she was oblivious and didn't respond. The cop pulling out his gun. I yelled out to her and she turned and when she saw the gun, she was suddenly absolutely terrified. Fortunately the three of us were laughing together shortly after.

The HRD training was something else. Greg Wilhere was our supervisor and was absolutely brilliant. He was very A to B, accepting no nonsense, expecting instant compliance, all in a friendly way. In scientologese "He would not tolerate any Q & A, no Dev-T, but with a lot of ARC." David Mayo rather surprised me in that he was making changes to the HRD during our daily class discussions with him, on our experiences as auditors. I have no doubt that this was a carry over from his running of the initial NOTs training. To me there can be no doubt that the HRD issues and the NOTs issues (which I was to find out later when I did my NOTs training) were written by Mayo. Also I have no doubt that they were run by Hubbard, in that some of Mayo's in-course changes, were reversed on the following day. But we, the students, weren't told that Hubbard was on the line!

We did have a couple of days off during the course, as we were able to go to Disneyland one day and Magic Mountain on another. There were more humorous incidents which come to mind. On our way back from Disneyland, Genny was discussing with a couple of Americans in the back of the bus, the problem she had with noise. She was pointing out how, back at home in NZ one night, she could hear these dogs barking on the other side of the valley keeping her awake. She then said, "I took a torch to go and see what was happening .... ". The Americans were puzzled, and one asked, "Why didn't you use a flashlight?" Genny said, "I did." And the Americans looked even more puzzled. I said nothing to see where it would go, but she spotted the problem.

Our (Sydney's) Snr C/S Jan Hill was in LA and had just completed a handling at Int and we arranged to have lunch, her, Genny and me. When she arrived she had a friend with her, Debbie who was NY Day's Lead C/S. I said, "Sure bring her along, I'll pay." It was interesting that all of the American accents, I found the NY accent, the most difficult to understand. When we finished, Debbie asked me, "Are you treating me?" I thought she was asking me, was I putting her on, taking the mickey out of her, so I was reflecting on what I might have said which would lead her to asking that question. Jan then said, Debbie's asking if you are paying. I said to Debbie, "I'm shouting (which is Australian for I'm paying)." Debbie looked at me and said, "You're what!"

I just realised that I've gotten ahead of myself again, by covering the HRD training before the circumstances which resulted in my becoming a C/S.

While in power as an auditor, I found that I could survive comfortably on my pay and bonuses. However, Hubbard's "Solution to Inflation" came out, and after a couple of months of it, I realised I had to earn some money rapdily. Fortunately, one of our auditors was a supervisor for a major office cleaning company and he got me a job. From university lecturer to office cleaner. I was able to work 4 hours a night five nights a week, grossing $AUS120 a week. After about 4 months or so, I was able to buy up to OT3.

At this time the Lead C/S was Martin Bentley who was also extremely good. One day the CO asked me to train up as a C/S to replace Martin who was in the middle of a domestic situation. I said No, as I was saving up for my upper OT levels and the loss of my regular bonus would throw a spanner in the works, of course, I didn't tell her this. But I did agree to do my C/S training. When I'd completed the training I then did my C/S internship under Martin. On the day I finished, the CO wanted me to take over from Martin because Martin had been ordered to route out to handle his scene. But he didn't want to do it and didn't want to take over. Then an order came down from whom, I don't know, and Martin left and left me with the C/S hat. I was on tenderhooks throughout the first week or so, even though I had Jan Hill as Snr C/S in the CLO, The nicest surprise I got was that the Lead C/S got the same bonus as a power auditor, whether completions were up or down. I was also able to continue with my cleaning job. I was putting money aside for my upper OT levels, but the "Solution to Inflation" was beating me, even though I had several thousand dollars saved. Martin, BTW, subsequently joined AOSH ANZO.

Then at a Sea Org event designed to recruit new SO members, Snr C/S Jan Hill and CO CLO Cmdr Phyl Stevens, in a clever manouever ambushed me. I had been avoiding them when they were together but I was chatting with each when they were separated. Then they got me together, I was chatting with Phyl unfortunately by the table where the contracts were. And Jan suddenly appeared. Anyway, I agreed that one day I might join the SO, and they had me sign a contract as a postulate and the gave it to me, much to my relief.

It wasn't long after this, that I decided I had enough funds to handle fares and accommodation to do to OT3 at AOLA. To facilitate this I started training Tia Merck as a replacement for me. Before she had completed her training, I think she was on her C/S internship, the CO came and told me that she had a telex from Snr C/S Int requesting that I join his team in Qual Gold. I insisted on seeing it and it was a general request for technical staff for Qual Gold. Once again, I was too smart for my own good and said, "When Snr C/S Int asks me by name, then I would have to go." Yes, you've got it, the next day that telex arrived.

I was given two days to see my family and dispose of most of my belongings, and told that I could take only one suitcase, the other was to be used to carry documents plus my folders. It hurt to get rid of my records and tapes and some of my books, but so be it. My first port of call, was to be CMO PAC, and fortunately having been in LA for my HRD training, I knew what to expect. Or thought I did.

I was berthed in a room with twelve double bunks crammed into it, however I "knew" it was temporary. I was told they, CMO PAC, were waiting for me to be "cleared" to go "up-lines", whereever that was. At one point, I did over-hear some say Gilman Hot Springs and I found it in a street directory. So I became a Messenger's messenger or gofor. Matt Henderson seemed to be the one in charge with the CO and his deputy away somewhere. I was "operating" out of their main office, together with two others, Ted Cormier and his wife Candice and you couldn't meet a nicer couple. Ted was a Class XII auditor and had been working at ASI, I think. Ted had cancer and was on his way to Flag for handling and passed away a few months later, he had a wonderful sense of humour.

One of my early jobs was to take a case of confidential folders to some called Nick Azneran who was the RPF I/C. It was explained to me what the RPF was and when I saw the conditions they worked under, and I didn't see the worse of it at all, I decide that I would never ever go into the RPF under any circumstances.

Then I had one of those strange experiences. I was asked if I would C/S a Sec Check and I was assured that even though the PC was OT, it would be a temporary folder there would not be any OT material in it. I agreed to do it. The auditor was Ray somebody and the person acting as the DTS was black and called Jessie. I do remember that the auditor had "Fly a rud if no F/N" which I changed to "Fly all ruds" with the comment that as it was a sec check, then all ruds should be flown. There was more than one session of the first day, and at the end of which, Matt asked me what was it like to C/S for Snr C/S Int. I told him I was C/Sing some one called Ray, not David Mayo. It was then that Matt told that Ray Mithoff was the new Snr C/S Int.

Eventually, I was told that I wasn't going to Int and instead I was off to Flag. When I asked why, I was told I was being used as a "coin" to replace a C/S in Flag to replace a C/S in AOLA who is going to Gold. I was getting a very thorough "education".

I arrived at Flag only to find that there a huge inflow of recruits from around the world. I was provided with accommodation in the Fort Harrison Hotel in a small room with three double bunks, which was not big enough for a double bed, and a small shower and toilet. At that time Flag consisted of the FSO, which was the delivery org, the Flag Land Base Org, which was the estates org providing catering, accommodation etc, the International Training School, which also provided staff training and auditing, and the CMO FLB. The ITS was located on the top floor, or ballroom, of the Hotel. The ITS Qual was above the ballroom on a mezzanine level with fantastic views over the Clearwater bay.

The Snr C/S FLB was David Ziff (of Ziff publishing fame), who replaced Ray Mithoff, when Ray was appointed as Snr C/S Int. I met also the NOTs C/S, I was to replace, Barbara Tompkins. I told David about my background and he advised me that I could not audit nor C/S at Flag without redoing all my internships. That went down like a lead balloon for me, and I simply told him that if that's the case then I'm going back home. Then like an idiot, I added that if it was the FSO, then I would consider it. David had me wait outside his office while he found out what to do with me.

While I was waiting outside the C/S office, Snr C/S Int, Ray Mithoff, was apparently coming to see how his replacement was getting on (or perhaps to check how the replacement cycle was going or perhaps David called him about the problem). I had a friendly chat with him, and then he went in. After a while he left and we said goodbye. About 10 minutes later a person came up to and said the the Snr C/S FSO Cmdr Jeff Walker would like to see me and escorted me there. Jeff asked me to come with him and we went down to the Case Cracking Unit and he introduced me to the DofP, Charlie Bills, and said, "This is David Graham, he is your new auditor, get him a PC and get him into session, now." He turned to me and said goodbye and was gone. I was thinking, "Right, here I am in the FSO, auditing a PC and not having to redo my internships." So I thought.

In retrospect, I think what happened is that when Ray Mithoff left David Ziff's office, he went to see Jeff Walker and told him that outside Ziff's Office waiting to go back to Australia, is an experienced C/S from Sydney Day Org and that he did indicate that he would be willing to consider the FSO. It is interesting that shortly after this, ITS was moved to LA and became part of the ITO, International Training Org.

All my clothes were navy blue except my boots. This included trousers, shirts, socks, jackets, coats, underwear, and even towels. The lot. During my first week auditing, one of my PCs asked what was it like in the RPF. I told her I had no idea. She asked me why was I always in navy blue, and I told her my whole wardrobe was navy blue. In "flying her ruds", an auditing action to handle any upsets, I found out she was embarrassed because she thought I was in the RPF, as the RPF traditionally wore blue. I told Charlie, the DofP, I need a couple of hours off to go and buy two white shirts. He was horrified at the possible loss of Well Done Auditing Hours, his stat, and told me that the FSO did issue them and he would get me a couple. After the next session, the shirts were waiting for me.

One was really too small, was crumpled and smelt of sweat, and the other was slightly large, torn under the arm on one sleeve and had a bad coffee stain on the front of it! I was annoyed particularly when he said that that was all they had. My response was that I was off to get some shirts and asked where was the nearest store and how far away. He took my money and send someone off to buy them for me. They were slightly large but otherwise quite decent. I demanded reimbursement, Charlie said he would handle it, but nothing happened. In fact, I became so busy, I forgot about it.

I had been auditing for about two or three weeks, getting mainly Very Well Done's (flubless auditing with PC VGIs at examiner), when Snr C/S, Jeff Walker, walked into the admin area where auditors write up their sessions, and brought the DofP over to me. He then asked me how the internship was going. I said, "What internship?" Well, he thumped the table and said that it was off-policy and out-tech for me to be auditing in the FSO, without being on or having completed a Flag internship. So Charlie had to rush me down to the Intern supervisor, John Danelovich, who accepted me (no invoice or anything), and rushed me back to the HGC and into session. The following morning I caught up on my high crimes (word cleared and checked out on recent HCOBs) and started getting checked out on my e-meter drills. It was Thursday and my PC had about an hour to go to complete an intensive (12 1/2 hours of auditing) which was part of the Captain's Stat and he needed this intensive to be up-stat.

By lunch time I was ready to do the Dating Drill. There was no lunch for me. At this point I was not "OT", and my coach was. Standing behind me, were the Intern Supervisor, the Captain, his messenger, the Ist Mate, the DofP, and the Tech Sec. As you can imagine my coach's needle started getting dirty, and I couldn't clean it as he was "OT". The sweat was pouring off my forehead and down my back. Fortunately I was sufficiently alert to see an unusual instant jerk in his needle and as his needle got dirtier, I could still see it. Finally, when I called the date with enough time to go into session to get the intensive, and the coach showed the date written on a piece of paper, all the buggars cheered and the coach's needle cleaned up nicely to an F/N, when I called the F/N, it really started to float. I was then literally dragged down and thrown into session to get the intensive, which I did. I was exhausted then, as I am now in reliving it.

My Dream passage through the ranks of the CofS, hit a few rough spots as a Flag C/S. Snr C/S Jeff Walker, wanted me on post as a C/S as soon as possible, all the case cracking C/Sing was carried out by Lead C/S Mark Elsner with the overflow going to Jeff. Mark, BTW, was the perfect role model for a C/S. So two C/Ses were needed urgently. Jeff took over checking my videos and had me on post within the week, much to the displeasure of Charlie, the DofP, because of his loss of auditing hours.

BTW IMHO, it should be pointed out that the standard of tech delivery at the FSO was no better than that at any of the major outer orgs. I base this on my experience as a Flag C/S, as a Cont. Snr C/S and as a Lead C/S in Sydney.

< Prev   Next >
Disclaimer: Dianetics and Scientology are trademarks of the Religious Technology Center (RTC.)
These pages and their author are not connected with the Church of Scientology or RTC, or any other organization residing under their corporate umbrella

Copyright © 2008 Exscn.net. All rights reserved.