Home arrow Personal stories arrow Sea Org arrow A small part of my story - Mick Wenlock  
Saturday, 22 December 2012
A small part of my story - Mick Wenlock PDF Print E-mail
Personal Stories - Sea Org

Then came the "we want you to move to Flag to be D/CO Production FSO" .
Now, I had always thought that I would be good in that sort of job. I had been D/CO Prod EU back in the day and thought that I did fairly well at it. So I was on board with the idea. Plus - anything was better than sitting around in the FSC Office chasing money (it never occurred to me then that this is precisely what I would be doing at the FSO...). Nancy and I talked about it and the basic theory was - I would go over, Nancy would take over as FSC EU and get replaced and we would all meet up in Clearwater.

By this time the kids and I had our green cards - well not actually the cards, but the basic package of documentation you are supposed to arrive in the US with when you immigrate. By early September I was on my way to LA where I was to get my Int Clearances and then it was off up the road..

I arrived in LA and there to meet me at Big Blue was Billy Lindstein - WDC FSO. A bit of a shock I have to say - I had last known Billy as CO Malmo. Anyway he was friendly and businesslike and it was a question of getting my INt Clearances and away we would go.

So I get to meet the RTC auditor who is going to do my sec check. I cannot remember her name but she was a pleasant enough person. Poor lady.

I had been declared back in 82 by the Finance Police - part of the sec checking they had used inolved having two different people shouting questions at me while one watched the meter and gave the reads out loud.

The day after I arrived at LA I went into session with the RTC auditor. The first auditing I had been in since the Fin Police.

It did not go well. She launched into the "I'm not auditing you" spiel and I launched into the "well you can just fuck off then" answer. I put the cans down. After a lot of what we could loosely refer to as "two way comm" she realized that the "worksheets" from the Fin Police days were not there. From what I gathered the fact that I had gone through all this crap was not even considered.

I was a tad upset. Apparently no-one had considered that there may have to be some addressing of the issues involved in the declare, the massive familial upset, the stress and horror inflicted on my wife and me. Not even a clue!

It was kind of funny in a way. She tried to persuade me to pick up the cans but, as I said to her - "If you are not auditing me, I am not interested in it. Period." She did try various little ploys but she came up against one big roadblock that she could not overcome. "I've already been delcared once, I survived that, I'll survive this."

I really didn't a rat's rear end any more.

We ended off at this point - she hadn't started anything so I felt no need to go to an examiner and she seemed confused.

Two days later I got a call to be ready for a session. This time she was auditing me and we started in on addressing all the stuff. One particular thing we talked about (well, I talked, she acked) was that I was going to pound the snot of Mathias Patel when and if I ever ran into him. After a while I got off my high horse about it and realized that Patel may have been an asshole but punching him wasn't going to change that.

This turned out to be a very fortunate realization - for Mathias.

After the session I came downstairs for Big Blue and out into the street and guess who the RPFer I ran into was?

Mathias Patel.
and so...

I was doing my Int Clearances, I guess this is the middle of September 1984. and when I was not getting the auditing I was just hanging out. Talking with Franzack and, surprisingly, the two Ians - Iain Cunningham and Iain Galloway who were what was left of the Finance Police. Only the second Iain had been on the mission that originally declared me and he wasn't one of those involved in it so we got along well. As one of the few other people in the SO who had actually been tae Glasgae we had a riot talking about the city and the people.

It was also during this time when, for some mysterious reason, Suzette started chatting with me. To this day I have no idea whether she thought I was someone else or whether someone like Jens Uhrskov had told her I was amusing to talk to but from there on out we kept in touch.

Then early one morning - around 2 am, I was woken up - I was sleeping in some men's dorm up on the 7th floor of Big Blue. It was Rae Mathieson - an old old friend, he had been the ED of HAPI when I first got into Scientology. He told me I was going to be holding his post for a couple of weeks while he went on some RTC mission. I told him he was out of his fucking mind, WDC FSO was "waiting for me to get through the clearances" and then Rae showed me the telex from WDC FSO saying it was OK but that I was to be "sessionable" - bit of a joke considering it was close to 3 am..

So that's how I got to be SMI Officer INt for two to three weeks. Seeing as I was the only person around who a) had done pretty much the whole Commodores Aide hat for div 6 and b) wasn't on a post I must have looked like a gift from Hubbard. Amazing - 14 months earlier I was the scum of the earth, enemy of mankind, stopper of Bridge progress for almost everyone. Now I was cleared (almost) for Int, big "coin" and so on.

I kind of enjoyed myself at SMI - Jeanie was hilarious and the work was easy.

Then Rae came back, my clearances came through I was going to Int. (I cannot believe that I actually thought that was somehow cool.)

And then Jens Uhrskov arrives to tell me that he and I are going on Mission. A mission so confidential that there are no written mission orders, it is going to be verbal briefing only.
I am fairly sure the date was around October 1st 1984. I was due to go to Int the next morning when Jens Uhrskov snagged me while I was yakking with Ian Cunningham. He told me that we were going on mission. He showed me the authorization from WDC FSO and so I wandered off with Jens to a room on (IIRC) the fourth or fifth floor of big blue. It was an office, one table, two chairs a computer terminal and a phone.

I asked Jens for the mission orders and he told me that there was nothing in writing. We were going to be on our own.

He told me that the Church had just lost its appeal against the IRS ruling, that the case in Canada (which I knew nothing about of course) was going badly and it had been decided that an organization, parallel to the Church was going to be set up called the International Association of Scientologists. It would be totally separate from the cofs organizationally. He and I were going to help coordinate the selection and travel of delegates to some convention at St Hill and to set up to implement the new membership system in the cofs.

So he and I ended up coordinating the selection of "delegates" most of whom, of course, were the DSA's of their local org, arranging flights etc. Someone from the CMO) mess brought our food to us from the dining room - supposedly this was so that w would not be being visibly supported by the CofS - seemed logical at the time, seems like bloody nonsense now of course.

We had to come up with costs of an annual membership and a lifetime, I did a couple of surveys around PAC and we came up with $300 and $2,000 as the prices. On the 9th we got told that the convention had been held so now it was "public" knowledge and now we had to work on setting up the kick off events.

Man, was that a zoo. WE went into the ITO classrooms (I think it was the ITO) and extracted about 20 people to go to the orgs where the kick off events were going to be (New York, Flag, Copenhagen, Sydney, London LA, Milan - don't remember the rest) we had carte blanche on use of the phones - the phone bill musta been in the tens of thousands of dollars. WE were on the phones - continuously.

While we were doing that Dick Storey arrived, he was to get the IMU Regges from wherever he could and get them to LA. Ken Pirak, Vic Scelza, Darcy Hollingsworth, Carla North, Bridget Kelleher, Brian Fraser, Cliff Bowen, Bertie Van Hoecke to be the Tours Ops, I found out that I was now the I/C of this thing. I met Michael Parodi and his wife (Marlene, I think) who were going to be two of the four people who were going to administer the IAS record keeping. I found out later that this was located on the island of Cyprus.

Mike Rinder was Vicki Aznaran's Communicator back then - she told him to get me through the computer courses and Jesse Prince and Lyman Spurlock went and got someone from INCOMM to open up the courseroom at 2 am just for me.
The events were held - I think that there were ten of them. The major one was, of course, the FLB event and we had a tape of all the pledges given at that event - including the Dennis Durbin and partners "we pledge a million" moment.

It was very hectic - people arriving from all over the place to be the tours regges for IAS, Achim Bendig from Stuttgart, Karin Berglund for Scandinavia, I don't remember who the girl was for the UK, can't remember the ANZO or Italy guys alas. We got some people for the IMU itself - Carol Titus who had the job of designing the membership cards and Impact magazine, Debbie Fraser who ended up as the Qual Sec, . Janet Light arrived and I was introduced to my new boss - for a while she and I got on very well. She told me that the IMU was moving to Clearwater. It took me months to realize that this was because her kids and hubby, David Light, were in Clearwater and there was no way a major reg of the FSO was going to move to LA.

We moved to CW at the end of November. not a very traumatic move as none of us had any big ties to LA or to PAC. We took over the ground floor of the WB and, as Janet Light was the biggest CMO fish in the pond, we got very good treatment. As we got settled we got more personnel - Jane Zimmatore and her husband Graham, Ewa Lanciai (formerly Ronnqvist), Chris LeGrow, Ray Fenech, Deac Finn and a couple of others whose names I can't bring to mind. We also ended up with someone that no-one wanted anything to do with - Reuvein Marcus. Talk about small world - Reuvein had been the Public Officer (Dist Sec) FSO back in 78 when I was D/CS6 and we had become pretty good friends drinking beer and playing bridge up on the mezzanine on Wednesday nights.

Janet sent me over to talk to Reuvein who was sitting in his berthing and muttering to himself most of the time... as I said we had gotten on well in the past so he was willing to talk to me and once we got past the "nobody understands me, nobody loves me" stage I got Reuvein to agree to reg for the IAS.

At this point there were a lot of things being thrown at us - those who still had HASI International Memberships for example were busy howling - to be frank, by the policy of course they were totally right. But I had a bit of a hard time understanding the way we were supposed to be doing things.

As I understood it when we started:

1) The Cofs faced imminent disaster in that we had lost the IRS case, the Canadian government was going to issue indictments after the Toronto raids and there was the very real danger that the international management of the Church would be indicted leaving the way for a takeover of the cofs. Including the reserves.

2) The IAS had been set up so that money coud be put into a totally separate organization that could then use those funds to support a scientology organization "from the outside"

The first part was exactly what I was told by VA, Yager and Guillaume at different times. It wasn't until much later that I realized the timeline actually did not support that assertion.

The idea of the IAS had been bruited around by a Danish lawyer (Jacobson I think was his name) who worked with Carl Heldt at NEPI many months before the IRS case was decided.

When we got to Clearwater Carol Titus and I had been hounded about getting hatted on "fundraising" and "membership organizations" - the paradigm being used was the NRA and Carol Titus joined the NRA so she would get all the literature and mailings and the magazine. We had to read several books on fund raising and Bertie and I had to come up with "levels" of donations, hence "Sponsor" and "Patron" both decided on at Bertie's desk. We figured we would get maybe five or maybe 10 Patrons. Boy were we wrong - and the "wog" fundraisers totally right!

I also had to fly back out to LA to ASI to meet with RVY because I had to write almost the entirety of Impact Magazine and he gave me the "instant hat" so to speak.

If you have any of the first 8 or so Impact Magazines - with the exception of the Hubbard articles and quotes - everything else was written by me.
I was IMU IC through the first year or so of its existence - probably the busiest time I had was Portland when DM decided that I would have to OK all CSWs to leave from the protest.

In october 1985 I was busted and started working in the Div 6 with Deac Finn setting up events, something I hated. I screwed up the set ups for Toronto and got RPFed - and was happy to go. I was twinned with Mike Kehrli, truly one of my greatest friends and by and large we did OK.

I was out of the RPF Christmas 1986 and found myself further out of favor by refusing to reg a Flag public at 2 in the morning on a Thursday. IN January I was told that my wife and I were being sent to the UK to be the UK Tour as our younger son could not come to the Freewinds. We arrived in the UK late January 87.

It was a miserable time, absolutely miserable. By August Nancy and I had decided we had to leave the SO. We went to see the CO CMO there - Karen Mathieson. She talked with Janet Light and they asked if moving back to Scandinavia might be better. So we decided to try that. Things got much better, Se3anwas back at school in Aalborg - and loving it. I was based back at AOSH EU and liking that and we were back in Copenhagen the city that my wife and I love the best in the world.

But there was something rotten in the state of Denmark ( I have always wanted to slip that quote in).

I was amazed to find - as I travelled around the orgs that they were half the size (in most cases) they had been in 1981. Even Stockholm and DKD were puny. The field was apathetic and not functioning. I started doing FSM rallies and workshops to try and get new people coming into the orgs and that was fairly successful but, of course, that was not regging money for the IAS.

Peculiarly Spain also fell under the control of the Scandinavian Tour. We decided to have a huge IAS even down there, Heber would be there, Janet Light and it would be a big deal.

It certainly was - we were sitting down at lunch on the first day when the federales rolled in and all of the foreigners and some of the locals - about 80 of us , ended up in the hoosegow. Heber was the main focus of the attention - and yeah I know he has come in for some shit on here and in other forums but I can tell you that in that jail in Madrid the man was marvellous. He was calm, quiet and steadfast. Sad that his courage was wasted on such a miserable cause.

Deac Finn and I were in one cell, and deac spent most of the time teaching me the Notre Dame fight song and the history of Notre Dame football. he did a great job because I still an Irish Football fan to this day.

At one point Deac and I got a little loud and when the guard told us to quieten down we got a little "defiant" which resulted in both of us being dragged to other cells (none too gently).

We all got questioned by some magistrate - for my questioning there was no translator into english so we had to make do in French.

After two days some of us were transferred to a an extradition center where we waited for two or three days along with a lot of south americans until we were suddenly dumped outside the door of the facility and had to take a taxi to the airport.

Champagne on the plane back..

When we got back to Scandinavia I started getting more info on what had happened to the field there - basically flag regges and fsms had been persuading people to take out huge (and I mean huge) loans for the L's "after all when you get done with the L's you'll have no problem paying off this paltry loan" they cosigned each others loans, lied about their income and so on. By the time we got there the Poniz scheme was collapsing and some of the people involved were losing their jobs and some were facing jail time.

I refused to reg people. I falsified the income stat and just worked on trying to get FSMs to get new people in. Then I wrote it all up to DM and sent it in via telex.

And got declared - again. 11 in the evening Nancy and I were out on the street - again. I had borrowed three hundred swedish kronor from an old friend who happened to be in the Nordland that night so N ancy and I could find a hotel.

2nd time around. Jesus H Christ you would think I would learn. But nooooo.

After a couple of days we had no money, nowhere to stay, no friends no family. Sean was away at school so he was OK, we had left Chris in the SO under the care of some friends. We ended up spending one night in a homeless shelter. It was an awful time.

We got tickets to go up and visit Sean (something parents were entitled to do under the Danish system) and we flew to Aalborg and stayed i a visitors cottage. The school offered to help us out for a couple of weeks and we stayed up there, called my wife's family in the US and borrowed a couple of hundred dollars from her sisters and gradually took out time to relax and to stop worrying.

We went back to Copenhagen, got jobs with SAS at one of the hotels and just started out on trying to get by.

WE eventually decided to go back to the US and we arrived in Denver on October 1st 1990. And now we live out in the country on the eastern plains.

Original thread

< Prev   Next >
Disclaimer: Dianetics and Scientology are trademarks of the Religious Technology Center (RTC.)
These pages and their author are not connected with the Church of Scientology or RTC, or any other organization residing under their corporate umbrella

Copyright 2008 Exscn.net. All rights reserved.